TUT BOOSTS YOUTH CONFIDENCE BY GIVING THEM KARATE LESSONS

 

By: Thulisiwe Zulu

Twitter: @ZuluThulisiwe

Email: zuluminenhle16@gmail.com

Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) at North Campus, has Karate training that accommodates many people starting from kids to adults. The starting age for the Karate training is from seven years and upwards. They fight according to their weight.

This training keeps the youth busy; they don’t get time to smoke drugs and become drunkards or criminals. They keep them busy at a young age. Karate teaches self-defence by that it sharpens to know the tools to defend yourself in dangerous situations. 

                                                   Image by Thulisiwe Zulu

Scelimpilo Buthelezi is the Coach and he said, “The purpose of the Karate is self- discipline and self- defence. It does not matter if you are a girl or boy, it protects you. Another thing when you are doing Karate, you just don’t go fighting around, you are a weapon yourself and we just use hands only.”

Karate training improves fitness, in other ways, it is a full body workout. It helps to strengthen every stiffness muscle in your body every day because you will be doing lots of push ups and squads. That means you stay healthy at all the time. It acts as a stress relief, for example it can reduce mental health problems such as anxiety and depression. This increases blood flow and affects all kinds of changes in the body and minds.

                                                   Image by: Thulisiwe Zulu

One of the trainees who is Sange Mvandaba, a TUT student stated, “Since I joined Karate from last year many things in my life have changed, I know how to handle my emotions now. It helps me a lot to personally know myself and helps me to work hard even in my schoolwork, I don’t just give up because I have a spirit of Karate.”

Karate can also reduce stress in less physical ways, regular discipline in a positive activity can do wonders for motivation. Ways to lower your blood pressure include healthier diet and getting regular physical activity. That’s where karate comes in, getting that regular exercise will lower your blood pressure and allow your heart to function as it should.

“Joining a karate is not a bad decision, it teaches you how to respect other people and yourself because karate is a disciplined sport. I know most people think it is a violent sport. I am approaching close to 15 years now, if it was a bad decision, I could have quitted long time ago. I am here at TUT because of karate, and I have met good people through Karate,” said Scelimpilo. This sport will help you to control your anger at all times.

Click on the link to listen to the audio.

 Listen to Thulisiwe Zulu- TUT Boosts youth confidence by giving them Karate lessons. by Thulisiwe Minenhle on #SoundCloudhttps://on.soundcloud.com/NupPd


Click on the video to watch the Karate lessons.



 

 

Comments

Popular Posts